Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Journey of Joy


Since my younger days, I was always fascinated by train journey. This is because in every journey I experience something new. Last month when I went to Jaipur by train , few medical students boarded the train from Delhi Cantt, they were discussing their exam paper with full excitement. It seemed as if the whole compartment turned into an examination room. As soon as chai walla and samosa and bread pakore walla entered the compartment, within few minutes the seller’s thali was emptied . These young doctors full of energy, made me feel proud. When the train reached Alwar junction I saw locomotive steam engine, which remided me of my childhood.
When I was going to Hubli from delhi by train with my family, the railway junction of each state  reflected its own culture. Like Mathura’s pedhe, dal pakori, Agra ka petha , Gwalior’s sachi milk  etc.

I can never forget Bhusawal junction which is adjoined with the Tapti river from where one could see the huge banana fields. Early morning, when we got down at bhusawal station and I saw local people selling home made dhoklas, pav vadha and bhel puri. Manwadh station hasn’t changed from the past 100 years. We heard a loudspeaker giving information to the guard to wave the green flag. This kind  of communication I have never seen before.  We slowly crossed the small towns of Maharashtra . These places have  preserved their culture from clothing style to their  language.  All the students and service class people got down at Pune because of which our train was almost vacant . We were soon accompanied by some intellectual people.  And all of us were engrossed with discussions on  politics and Anna Hazare’s fast against corruption.  Many of them shared their experiences with us which was a kind of learning experience for me.
After all these unforgettable moments, we finally reached Hubli station. It seemed as if we have landed in a dreamland with drizzling and hills surrounding the station.                    

1 comment:

  1. This trip was so good. We should go out more often.

    Love Vidushi

    ReplyDelete